A boy was left covered in open wounds after he was infected with flesh-eating bacteria throughout a trip to a Maryland beach, his mother mentioned.
Carey wrote on Facebook that her son developed the red gashes “throughout his body” after he went for swimming in the coast of Ocean City last week.
When the injuries grew, she took him to the Peninsula Regional Medical Heart in Salisbury, Maryland, where medical doctors diagnosed him with Vibrio, a type of bacteria that may trigger the skin to rot away in a condition called necrotizing fasciitis.
“My little guy got this from being in the bay,” Carey wrote. “Please be careful out there guys and if you happen to start seeing wounds such as these please get somewhere quick!”
The mother later updated the post to say that her son’s pediatrician mentioned he was healing properly.
The case comes on the heel’s of a 77-year-old lady’s death last month after she scraped her leg at a Florida beach and contracted the flesh-eating situation.
Vibrio bacteria can be found in the coastal waterway and raw seafood, according to the Centers for Disease Management. There are roughly 80,000 cases of vibriosis each year — with 52,000 coming from ingesting contaminated food, such as oysters, the CDC mentioned.